Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Part 2: Why I Run


A second reason I run is to honor and remember those who can't.  When I started training for a half-marathon last fall, I learned that my sister-in-law's cancer had returned.  It was stage 4. She had so much trouble with the cancer in her lungs that it was a struggle just for her to breathe.  Large amounts of fluid had to be drained from her lungs, and she spent many agonizing nights in the hospital.  Every time I would start running, I'd think about her family.  I became very conscious of my breath, that constant yet essential function, and I remembered to pray for Sheila to be healed.

It is for her, my dear sweet sister-in-law Sheila, who bravely continues her struggle against cancer, that I dedicate this marathon.  Your faith and courage are such an inspiration, and I love you.  For the other two family members that have been lost to cancer, my step-brother Chris, and my mother-in-law Glenda:  I know we'll one day run together on streets of gold. 

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis


1 comment:

  1. So much we often take for granted and forget to be thankful for. Like breath and movement and health and just life itself. I am thankful for you and for your sharing.

    ReplyDelete