Saturday, July 16, 2011

< less than


Today I started my first "long run" with a Rogue training group.  Since I'm hoping to run a marathon February 2012, I figured joining in a little distance training every now and then might be a good idea. (I'm clever like that.)  Cautious of my abilities, I opted to run the 4 mile route.  Not coincidentally, it was the shortest one to chose from.

Now, I'm sure better people than I would join right in a strange running group and feel at right at home.  Not I.  Conjured in my head were thoughts of 90 lb gaunt Rogue men with a 5 min/mile marathon pace.  As I drove to meet the 7:00 a.m. running group, I had to stuff away thoughts of inadequacy.

"What if I'm going to be the slowest person there?"

"What if I can't run the 4 miles I try to run? I'll look like a fool."

"You're crazy to try this.  You don't know these guys, and they already know each other."

And the emotional clincher, "You're stupid to feel stupid."  Undo that psychological conundrum.

Guess what?  The monster at the end of the book was not there. There was a gaunt 5 min/mile marathon-pace coach, but he was really nice and liked my running shoes.  People of all shapes, sizes and ages were represented.  And they were the same kind of different as me.  I ran the 4 miles without a hitch (unless you call needing windshield wipers for my sweat a hitch).  More importantly, it was very, very worth it.  If for no other reason than another momentary fear was conquered.

What's your ever-so-slight (or massive) feeling of inadequacy today?  Step right through, my friend, because good things wait on the other side.  Jeremiah 29:11

Do one thing every day that scares you.  ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment