Friday, July 29, 2011

The Million Dollar Question: Are You a "Runner"?

       
They have it right. 
Even though I like to run, I have the hardest time answering that question. Every now and then I'm asked, "Are you a runner?" For the life of me, I can't manage to answer in the affirmative. Now, I know that for those who run only when chased, anybody who runs seems like a "runner". But the answer, for me at least, is not so easy.

Technically, the suffix "er" means "one who". Therefore, runner means "one who runs". Well, okay, I do run some. But I always want to add, "I'm not so fast.  In my entire life I've never participated in any sport, much less track or cross country.  I only started running in my late 30's.  I have no formal training whatsoever."  Ah, how I can go on and on with my (perceived) running inadequacies.  There are a bajillion people faster and better trained than I. Really there are.

Guess what?!  (For what it's worth, this is NOT where I originally thought the post would go.) I'm going to name it and claim it anyway.  I. Am. A. Runner.  There, I said it, if only in writing.  It brings me joy (especially in cooler weather).  I'm the better for it.  I try my best every time.  I want to run, and I want to get better. If that's not a runner, then I don't know what is.

So, the next time someone asks me, "Are you a runner," I'm going to look them straight in the eye and reply with an emphatic, "Yes!"

Try me.

What's your name it and claim it?  Do it.

Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.  ~ William Faulkner

1 comment: